At Cointree, we take our security very seriously. However, don't let this lower your guard. No amount of security on our end can make up for inadequate personal security.
We strongly advise users to take proactive steps in protecting their accounts from potential threats
Cointree support staff will never request your 2-factor authentication code or password. If you ever receive a communication, regardless of claimed affiliation with Cointree, requesting such information, please contact our dedicated customer support team immediately at 1300 389 414 or through our live chat.
Beware of scams
Scammers use advanced techniques to try to steal your personal information and/or cryptocurrency.
It is extremely important to remain vigilant to these kinds of schemes. This article is to help raise awareness and help you avoid them. Unlike bank transactions, digital currency transactions cannot be reversed which is why it is so important to be aware of the techniques used by scammers.
- If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.
- Never share your account credentials.
- Be wary of anyone asking you to set up a Cointree account.
- Do not send your cryptocurrency to untrusted destinations.
- Educate yourself on common scams.
- When in doubt, reach out to our friendly support team on 1300 389 414 or through our live chat
- Did someone ask you to sign up to Cointree?
- Did someone ask you to provide your ID to them?
- Did someone ask you to share your Cointree credentials with them?
- Did someone promise you high investment returns if you send cryptocurrency to them?
- Did someone tell you that you have unclaimed cryptocurrency that they can recover for you?
Best Practices for Account Security
Use a Strong and Unique Password: Opt for a complex password with a minimum of 8 characters, including at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one special character, and one number. Avoid reusing passwords from other platforms and consider changing your password regularly.
Enhance your account security by activating 2 Factor Authentication (2FA): Activating 2FA in your Cointree account settings is a key step to securing your account. You will need to also install an authentication app on your phone, like Google Authenticator or Authy.
Verify Email Authenticity: Exercise caution when reviewing emails to ensure they are genuinely from Cointree. Watch out for poorly worded emails, suspicious links, and attachments, as these are common tactics employed by bad actors.
Stay Wary of Overseas Brokers and "Too Good to Be True" Offers: Be sceptical of individuals or organisations promising easy money or unrealistic returns. Cryptocurrency scams often involve convincing schemes with high returns and minimal risks. If you encounter such situations, it's advisable to hang up or delete the correspondence and report the details to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
Avoid Recovery Services: In the cryptocurrency realm, recovery services are typically fraudulent. Since cryptocurrency transactions are irreversible, any service requesting upfront payment for recovery is likely a scam. Unfortunately, legal recourse is limited, as many of these scam companies operate outside of Australia.
- Withdraw Only to Trusted Wallet Addresses: Due to the irreversible nature of cryptocurrency transactions, double-check that you have the correct cryptocurrency address and transfer funds only to trusted recipients.
Educating yourself on common scams is important. We've provided some starting points:
What to do if you think you're involved in a scam:
If you have any uncertainty about something or if it doesn't quite seem right, we highly recommend checking https://www.scamwatch.gov.au for further advice on the warning signs of scams. You can also reach out to our friendly team for assistance by clicking here.
By proceeding with cryptocurrency transactions such as sending coins from your Cointree account, you acknowledge and understand that these transactions are non-recoverable and cannot be recalled. Please ensure you have verified all details before confirming any withdrawal.
For more information or assistance, please reach out to our dedicated support team. Stay informed, stay secure!